After years of debate and delay, The Hundred will lastly launch on Wednesday night time.
Cricket’s latest format, designed by the ECB to draw a extra common viewers, goes to look very totally different.
With 100 balls per innings and newly-invented, city-based franchises, the end result will likely be two-and-a-half hours of fast-paced leisure, that includes a number of the world’s most thrilling gamers.
Purists and Check lovers stay unconvinced concerning the continued ‘dumbing down’ of the game, pandering to spectators with shorter consideration spans – and The Hundred will likely be on trial all through its inaugural season.
Nonetheless, whereas England is lucky sufficient to have a Check viewers for now, cricket should take into consideration its future amid dwindling crowds.
Many will ask why the necessity for one thing seemingly so just like T20, though the variety of balls is much from the one factor totally different about The Hundred.
The Hundred: Guidelines
- Two innings of 100 balls, which ought to final 65-minutes every
- Strategies of run-scoring and dismissal keep the identical
- Overs are 5 balls as an alternative of six and the fielding aspect switches ends each ten deliveries
- Bowlers can bowl 5 or ten balls in a row, with a most of 20 deliveries per innings
- The Powerplay lasts for the primary 25 balls, after which the fielding staff can name a fast tactical timeout
- If the fielding staff overruns their 65 minutes, a fielder should be taken from exterior ring and positioned inside
- Every staff will get one unsuccessful DRS overview per innings
- There are eight groups they usually play eight matches every
- Two factors for a win, one level for a tie/no end result and nil factors for a loss.
- Whoever finishes high of the group goes straight to the ultimate. Second and third will face off within the ‘Eliminator’, with the winner progressing to the ultimate.
A pot of 120 gamers have been drafted into eight squads of 15 final yr, every that includes one centrally-contracted England Check participant and a most of three abroad stars.
Whereas the ECB has confirmed England gamers chosen for the India Check sequence will likely be obtainable for the opening two rounds of The Hundred, numerous abroad stars have been pressured to tug out as a consequence of COVID-19 journey restrictions.
These embody Andre Russell, Kieron Pollard, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner and Ellyse Perry.
Try The Hundred squads! Are you excited? pic.twitter.com/2dMAYSPqFI
— The Hundred (@thehundred) July 2, 2021
The Hundred: Groups
- Birmingham Phoenix (Edgbaston)
- London Spirit (Lord’s)
- Manchester Originals (Emirates Outdated Trafford)
- Northern Superchargers (Emerald Headingley)
- Oval Invincibles (Kia Oval)
- Southern Courageous (Ageas Bowl)
- Trent Rockets (Trent Bridge)
- Welsh Fireplace (Sophia Gardens)
Nonetheless, cricket’s largest stars will nonetheless be on present in entrance of packed out crowds, after the ECB delayed the inaugural season by a yr as an alternative of taking part in it out behind closed doorways.
These with out a ticket or the assorted sport subscriptions will even be capable to eat The Hundred dwell on terrestrial tv, with the BBC sharing the rights alongside Sky Sports activities.
All of it kicks off tonight as Oval Invincibles tackle Manchester Originals at 6pm.
And with the ECB putting equal emphasis on each the boys and the ladies’s recreation, the women get us below method.